Dr. Caroline Louise Ransom Williams (1872-1952) was the first professionally trained woman Egyptologist in America. Mentored by Breasted who was only seven years her senior, their relationship would evolve from teacher and pupil to the greatest of colleagues with a friendship that would last until his death.
In the fall of 2007, when I began working at Chicago House, there were several hundred unregistered loose fragments scattered about the Medinet Habu temple precinct, some of them inscribed and lying face down on the ground, already showing advanced signs of deterioration caused by groundwater and salt.
Epigraphic drawing to document the ceiling of the bark shrine on behalf of the Epigraphic Survey were begun in the Spring of 2019. The ceiling would be documented using the Chicago House method and all digital technology, including the photography and initial “pencil” drawings on site.
Within the Medinet Habu Temple complex in Thebes, just north of the Small Temple and near the Sacred Lake, is an unassuming monument standing alone among the remaining rubble of an ancient mudbrick wall.
Combining digital and traditional inking methods on MHB 122, an obscured scene at the Small Amun Temple in Medinet HabuWritten by Susan Osgood
This is a study of the multiple drawing processes used by the Epigraphic Survey (Chicago House) to document a pillar scene of Thutmose III Given Life by Amun-Re on the façade of the Small Amun Temple at Medinet Habu in Luxor.
The Western High Gate is one of two fortified gates built during the reign of Ramses III in the great girdle wall that surrounds the Medinet Habu temple complex, located on the west bank of Luxor.
The 3D model of the East Wall of the Hall of Offerings in Luxor Temple circa 1930 is a testament to how archival film negatives can be integrated with more recent digital images to reconstruct how a monument would have appeared in the past.
The Eastern High Gate is one of two fortified gates built during the reign of Ramses III in the great girdle wall that surrounds the Medinet Habu temple complex, located on the west bank of Luxor. It was first investigated and recorded in 1930/31 by Uvo Hölscher...